Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Went for a run today

Got the new training schedule for the 4 week period the other day and coach has slotted in some weekly running.
Last year over Winter I did quite a bit of running, usually once a week, sometimes twice. It was an easy training session to fit in as I could do it in my lunch hour at work, rain or shine. Sometimes I couldn't get out for a training session on the bike so running was a great way to keep me fit.
Today was my 1st run since the Business House Relay event about 2 months ago. The Business House Relay was a 2.5km team event I did with some work mates, that was my 1st run in several months and before then I had only run twice this year.
My 4th run this year was today, coach had slotted me in for a 20 minute run and I thought I would take it easy as I hadn't been out for a while. 20 minutes and taking it easy went out the window shortly after starting and I did my regular (last year "regular") 8km run around the bays, up the hill and back. I got back in around 37 minutes which I think is a fairly average time for me for this distance and route and I think because of this I will be sore tomorrow, possibly be walking funny.
One thing riding the 24hr Moonride solo taught me better was to keep pace and in today's run I felt I kept pace a lot better than I used to do. Previous runs I remember my pace often varied, I would start out fast, then slow down a bit and then die (but still keep going) for the return run home. Today's run felt like an even pace right through to the end and I event felt I could speed up a bit on my last leg home. And gone were the times I felt I had to chase down everyone who passed me, I did pass people but this was from just running at my set pace.
Because of this, post run I didn't feel destroyed like I used to and this meant it was easier to get on with my afternoon's work. Though like I said above, I will be sore tomorrow.
I think this running will be a good thing for me again and I will keep it up, over this winter.