Friday, May 28, 2010

Bitterly cold commute


Thankfully most mornings aren't this cold over winter (or summer).
I knew it was cold this morning before I stepped out of the house, I thought the cold would be comparable to how cold it was yesterday, boy I was wrong.

3 Merino tops, 1 Merino legging, pair of shorts, 1 Hi Vis jacket and 1 rain jacket later I was ready to go I also had a pair of waterproof/windproof riding gloves. I decided not to wear my water absorbing waterproof labelled pants I usually wear when it rained and just went with the merino leggings today. I was riding to work today, I am a rain or shine cycle commuter.

There was a more rain on this morning's commute and it was much colder than yesterday, this insured I got cold very quickly and remained cold until I got to work. Fortunately my commute is not a long commute and can do it in around 20 -25 minutes, if I were to take my road bike I could clean it in 15 minutes. My trusty commuter is a Generation 1 DMR Trailstar single speed, I run a 34:18 gearing which I can spin at a decent speed. My commute to work includes hills a couple of ups then downs into town. The uphill combined with the single speed gearing help on days like today, they are a great way to try and warm up a bit or adjust my temperature from "very cold" to "cold" as was the case this morning.

I only saw one other cycle commuter on the way to work this morning but that is hardly surprising given the circumstances. We both threw glances at each other our expressions confirming how crazy each of us were. I arrived at work to an empty bike cage aside from the few other bone dry bikes that staff seem to store in there for an eternity, I saw 1 other guy locking up his bike. In the changing room while warming up my hands with cold water I laughed with 1 other at how crazy the commute into work today was.

I'm now assessing my commute to work this morning, while my shell protected my top half from the water, my bottom half got soaked. My face, ears, feet and hands got so cold they hurt while the rest of my stayed a bearable cold. I need to get some better gloves, find my balaclava and maybe get some booties/covers or something for my shoes. I also need to get some mud guards again, for my bike.