Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Running again

Busy today at work and then meetings after lunch I planned I could only get a 30 minute run in this lunch hour as it would take time for me to get ready before and after and of course I needed to eat lunch.

Of all the training I do I still find running the hardest. They say running requires 3-4 times more effort (energy) than cycling, so my 30 minute run today could be equalivant to a 2 hour bike ride.

It was raining and cold this lunch hour today and I forced myself out for a run, I thought today I would just run out to the point and back, a bit shorter than my short usual run. I would also step up the pace a bit too so that I would be sure to get back in my 30 minute allocated time frame. Out to the point and back was roughly 6kms. There wasn't many people running today, but this was understandable given the crap conditions.

Running on road doesn't do much for me in excitement terms, much like road bike riding. I need things to keep me interested, keep me going. One of those things is music via my iPod and the other is these little goals I set myself. When I talk about little goals I really mean I try to catch up to people and pass them, if someone passes me I try to match their pace. The catching people and passing them goal works well for me, its great passing people, makes me think I am doing well. The matching pace when I get passed goal often doesn't work so well and buggers me out quickly. Fortunately today I was only passing people.

Running today seemed like more work than last week, though I dont feel as sore it did feel harder. Not sure if that was due to the weather, my faster pace (was it really faster?) or was I just having an off day?
28.22 minutes later and I am back, happily under my 30 minute estimate. Shower, a quick lunch and i'm in time for my 1:30pm meeting.