Friday, April 2, 2010

2010 Makara Grand Loop Challenge

Last year I ran this event with the help of friends, Bushlove ran the event this year. For "shits and giggles" I thought I would race this XC race on my Driver 8. The Driver 8 is hardly a XC bike and more of a Freeride/Downhill bike, I had ridden the bike to the top of Makara Peak before so I thought it could be interesting to race it for this event.
I was seeded near the rear of the entrants, how quick could I be on this bike? I rode the bike to the top in 39 minutes 12 seconds, this I felt was a pretty respectable time. I put a lot of energy in riding this bike up the hill as it was a lot of work, I even passed a couple of people on the way up!
I was a bit worn out for the downhill but being a 8" travel bike I could make a lot of mistakes on the way down and it was just a matter of holding on.
I completed the course in 51:37 and came 21 out of 39 and was the only racer on a DH bike.